Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Pinnacle(s) to Which All Other Authors Should Aspire

I feel like a traitor-- I have had a blog for almost a week and STILL I have not dedicated a post to praise of the most wonderful authors in the world. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, and Charles Dickens.
My love for these authors was established when I was eight or nine years old and watched the BBC miniseries Pride & Prejudice. Ever since then, I have been the official NUMBER ONE FAN of all BBC miniseries. I watch a new one, then I read the book. And as ridiculously good as all these movies are, the books are that much better. I have read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre more times than I can count and they never cease to amaze me. And I laugh out loud at every Dickens novel because, hidden carefully in a wordy description, lies some hilarious jab at British society or government.
Every sentence each of the authors wrote is masterfully crafted and absolutely beautiful. Each of the stories they wove is timeless, magical and impossible to hate.
I can't get enough of Mr. Collins, especially in this version. He is HILARIOUS!
BBC miniseries and books you NEED to see/read if you haven't already.
Pride & Prejudice
Emma
Sense & Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Persuasion
Little Dorrit
Bleak House
Our Mutual Friend
A Tale of Two Cities (I haven't seen a movie of it yet...)
Wives & Daughters
North & South
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda
Lark Rise to Candleford

5 comments:

  1. I've seen at least three of those movies. I feel so cool now. :)North and South is probably my faaavorite. Mr. Thornton (i didnt spell it right) is very extremly handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you spelled it right. And I love hiim dearly. He is truly amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen nine of those movies, and read the first two you listed in their original form. :)

    I feel so accomplished! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen 12 of those movies and they are all very good, they are a must see:) I just started reading the Tale of Two Cities, I've seen the movie and so I think I will be able to understand a little bit more whats going on. I love all of those stories, as I think you all know:)
    Miss all of you guys!!! Hope to see you all again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love Kallie Rae

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're about to start watching A Tale of Two Cities, and I'm really excited. The book is amazing, although it's probably better when you don't know the ending :)
    We miss you too! Come back to visit!!

    ReplyDelete