Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'd Say I'm Most Definitely Ready for This


It’s at times like this that I feel small.  Not necessarily unloved or lonely, but just small. Because out of all the people I would recognize as I walk across campus, how many will miss me?  How many will even notice I’m gone?

It’s a bittersweet thought that my place in the hearts of the people I’m leaving here probably won’t last too long or bleed too profusely.  They’ll probably be patched up by someone new, someone who’s around to listen and to laugh and to cry, while I’m off doing something utterly terrifying in a faraway land. 

And it fills me to the brim with excitement and contentment, because this is where I’m meant to be, right now, when my life was stagnant and uninteresting.

But still it’s sad to think that place I have in at least a handful of hearts is going to be taken up by someone else.  I like to think that my departure is going to be something like a non-competitive enzyme inhibitor; my leaving will change the shape of the place I took in your heart, and no one else can fit back in exactly the same way I did. 

It’s good, I think, that those empty spots don’t stay empty.  That’s how humans are—we can’t leave gaping holes or even little chinks missing from our hearts without finding something to patch them with.

I want to tell you, anyone who’s really going to miss me (and you know who you are) that I want you to be the happiest person you can be for the next two years.  Take chances.  Do scary things.  Laugh a lot.  Smile even more.  Cry.  Never lose hope.  Never feel like you have nothing to hold on to.  Remember that your Heavenly Father knows you.  He knows exactly where you should be and who you should be with and what you should be doing.  Grow as much as you can in as many ways as you can. 

Wow, this really feels like a huge dramatic final goodbye.  I didn’t mean for that to happen.

I’ll still talk to you until March, guys. And then you can write me letters!  We won’t be completely out of touch.

But I know when I do get back, I’m going to be different.  First off, I’m going to have a hard time remembering how to English, and I’m probably going to have a weird lilting lisp.  (According to my roommate’s boyfriend, I’m going to sound like a gay man.)  I’m going to think Europe is the best place in the world (even more so than I do right now.)  I will be one of those obnoxious RM’s who starts every sentence with “When I was on my mission…”

Chances are I will have shed more tears on the terrain of Spain (see what I did there?) than I have in even the lovely Utah Valley, and I will have felt more love from my Heavenly Father than I’ve even known was possible.  I will have known the bitterest disappointment and the most poignant success.  I’ll come back in tears because I just wanted to stay longer.

I’m going to have an immense love for people none of you have ever met.  I’m going to know beyond anything I can comprehend right now that this blessed gospel is true.  I will have seen it change lives, and I will have been utterly changed by it myself.  

I hope you will be too, my dear friends who will be here in Provo, or in Brazil or Pennsylvania or California or Portugal or Russia or Jamaica or wherever you may be going.  I hope you find the courage to let the gospel change your heart, your life, yourself, because I’ve felt the process start, and I know it can’t go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment